continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Edward Gruber <cgru...@israfil.net>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Continuum 2.0 Roadmap
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:04:36 GMT
Sorry, that was sort of my point - many implementation-specific tricks
make it into OR/M configuration, and sometimes code. Or rather
assumptions about subtle behaviour or one ORM are factored into the
design, but another ORM may not perform in the same way under the same
conditions because it's internally optimized differently.

Also, unfortunately, a lot of this configuration ends up in
Annotations in JPA, so the code is not really portable POJOs.  So
while it can be largely swappable, let's just not get fooled into
thinking it's "easily swappable without effort" and then do no due-
diligence around what the default JPA implementation would be.

Having said that, JPA itself is based on a much stronger approach to
ORM than many previous ones, and if Toplink provides reference
implementation code then I'd be inclined to trust it.  It's one of the
most battle-tested ORM's out there.  Of course hibernate has much more
currency in the open-source community.

Christian.