continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse McConnell" <jesse.mcconn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Continuum 2.0 Roadmap
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:34:51 GMT
How important is the database really to things in continuum?

To me it has always seemed somewhat of an annoyance to have to manage and
maintain when so much of things could just be some xml files on disk.  There
isn't a great amount of search functionality in continuum that in my mind
begs a solution where someone could increase performance by tuning some sql
statements.  The largest chunks of historical data we maintain are things
like build results and they could discovered and indexed in memory pretty
easily I could think...

but if we are going to stick with the database then I think the api needs to
definitely take into account a more distributed nature where multiple
continuum instance would feed into a single database...make it so that we
can generate interesting information across mutliple distributed continuum
instances out of that central database.  I would also like to suggest that
we either make use of a jdo impl that provides for lazy loaded objects where
interacting with something like Project and calling a method on it will
automatically populate what you need in your code, or else we implement it
in a wrapper on these object so that the API into the store can be cleaner
then this getProjectsWithEverythingUnderTheSunPopulated() vs
getProjectThatYouAreEnsuredToNotHaveDataYouWantPopulated() methods.

my 2 cents...maybe jpa would help clean this up but I know rahul and emm
were talking about that not too long ago query wise...I think it would be
most excellent to have one method to getProject() out of the store and have
it be useful everywhere and all of the fleshing out of its content managed
behind the scenes.

jesse