continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuum Model and Modello
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:34:06 GMT

On 21/09/2007, at 5:31 PM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> Rahul Thakur a écrit :
>> I have been wanting to pop this questions for sometime now.
>> For generation/maintenance of continuum-model:
>> a) Why are we using Modello? More specifically what does it buy us? I
>> know the model is expressed as xml and separate from Java sources,
>> but I don't see a benefit of having it in XML as opposed to
>> annotations in java sources.
>
> modello file generate for use all model POJOs and the jpox metadata
> file. With it, we can define old fields that doesn't exist in the
> nex version and the migration tool use the model to do the db
> conversion. I don't think we can all of that with annotations.

The DB conversion is less than ideal though. I think the tools that
OpenJPA already provide for doing such things are superior (from the
brief look I've had).

I'm thinking the model conversion is a bit of a "seemed like a good
idea at the time" thing that I did... I'd be happier with coding it
up by hand now and making the store simpler. In making the store
simpler, and carefully mapping to tables, I think we can avoid the
need for conversion anyway by trying to only make additions.

I'd be willing to experiment with alternatives - perhaps it would be
best to do this piece by piece though, rather than one big conversion
(as the impl. currently leaks out all over - we need to better
isolate the lazy loading and fetching of data through the actions
before safely extracting pieces).

Cheers,
Brett

--