continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] Graduate Continuum to its own TLP
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:10:49 GMT

On 22/09/2007, at 7:34 AM, Rahul Thakur wrote:

>> So I think it would be good for Continuum to become a Top Level
>> Project at ASF and the continuum community will have more chance to
>> grow.

I agree. It is effectively running itself already.

>> My concern for the moment is we don't have enough committer from
>> different companies, To be stable, at least 3 committers from
>> different companies would be good.
>
> While I am for Continuum as TLP, I don't understand the
> rationale behind having committers from different companies. How would
> this help to make Continuum more stable?

Stability from a community point of view. Firstly, we need to ensure
we have enough committers in the first place - for example, to ensure
that if Emmanuel decided he could no longer participate, the project
would need to be able to survive (though obviously, miss him greatly :)

Having those committers from a diverse set of companies is an extra
safeguard to ensure that no single company either controls the
direction of the project, or could cause it problems by withdrawing
people's time on it. To be clear, there's no reason to suspect this
is a problem now - it's just a worthy thing to have in a project.

I think everything is on track here - the first focus should be on
getting 1.1 out of course, but if we keep doing what we are doing
this totally makes sense.

Cheers,
Brett

--