continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: error states
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:59:33 GMT
I think I understand this problem more now.

the svn errors are a transient problem - it occurs before a build
takes place, but they are recorded as a built result. So when they
succeed again, no build occurs because no update has taken place.

I see two possible corrections to this problem:
1) don't record a build result for update failures (have some sort of
project level error and different way of notifying/correcting).
2) rebuild a project that was in error state before.

Only the first would also address the problem of having difficulties
diagnosing errors that occur even earlier and don't record a build
result at all. It also is a nice separation of configuration/
environmental errors vs actual build failures. It helps with the
separation of roles when you have a server admin and developers that
just commit on the code.

However, it's a lot more work, and it might be better to schedule
that for the future and fix it via (2) for 1.1.

what do others think?

- Brett