continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Venisse <emman...@venisse.net>
Subject Re: error states
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:48:08 GMT

Brett Porter a écrit :
> I think I understand this problem more now.
>
> the svn errors are a transient problem - it occurs before a build takes
> place, but they are recorded as a built result. So when they succeed
> again, no build occurs because no update has taken place.
>
> I see two possible corrections to this problem:
> 1) don't record a build result for update failures (have some sort of
> project level error and different way of notifying/correcting).

I think it's necessary to record a build result so users know there is a problem with the
SCM connection. Continuum can't know if the scm url is wrong or if the scm server is unreachable.

> 2) rebuild a project that was in error state before.

I think it's the best solution for now and won't be a lot of work.

> Only the first would also address the problem of having difficulties
> diagnosing errors that occur even earlier and don't record a build
> result at all. It also is a nice separation of
> configuration/environmental errors vs actual build failures. It helps
> with the separation of roles when you have a server admin and developers
> that just commit on the code.
>
> However, it's a lot more work, and it might be better to schedule that
> for the future and fix it via (2) for 1.1.

I'm agree even if I don't know yet how to find the error type.

Emmanuel