continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Trygve Laugstøl <tryg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XML RPC security
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:14:59 GMT
Rahul Thakur wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Some quick notes on the security for XML RPC interface. This is what I
> am thinking...
>
> Have an AuthenticatedXmlRpcService component that services the xml rpc
> requests. The first request from a client to the service is a request
> for authentication. A successful authentication returns an
> authentication Token, which is passed along with subsequent requests by
> the client. A Token can go stale (configurable time period?) if there
> were not requests detected for it. Also, we could have a service that
> answers any polling requests and keeps a Token 'alive'.

How about using HTTP and Redback for security? We can make the XML-RPC
server listen on localhost:8000 only and then make a servlet that is
proxying to localhost:8000/xml-rpc.

The proxying servlet should come after a Redback security filter. I made
a servlet like that once acting as a facade for a Subversion repository
which I think I added to Plexus (aka the kitchen sink), if not I can dig
it up for you.

--
Trygve