continuum-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From egarza <ega...@irise.com>
Subject Re: Issues with getting 1.1-SNAPSHOT started
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:59:20 GMT

I am having an issue related to this. Logging will not work as appserver.base
is not a recognized system env property in Tomcat 5.5 deploying the web-app.
I have set the property on startup and using the Tomcat admin app, but
logging still does not work. I set the property to the Tomcat home directory
that contains a logs and conf directory. I am using the SNAPSHOT. I get an
exception: 

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger
(org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /logs/continuum.log (No such file or
directory)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:203)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:128)
        at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:272)
        at
org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:151)
        at
org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.activateOptions(DailyRollingFileAppender.java:206)
        at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:247)
        at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:123)
        at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:87)
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:645)
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:603)
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:500)
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:406)
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure(PropertyConfigurator.java:340)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.logging.log4j.Log4JLoggerManager.start(Log4JLoggerManager.java:299)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.personality.plexus.lifecycle.phase.StartPhase.execute(StartPhase.java:33)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycleHandler.start(AbstractLifecycleHandler.java:128)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.component.manager.AbstractComponentManager.startComponentLifecycle(AbstractComponentManager.java:142)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.component.manager.AbstractComponentManager.createComponentInstance(AbstractComponentManager.java:132)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.component.manager.ClassicSingletonComponentManager.getComponent(ClassicSingletonComponentManager.java:90)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultComponentLookupManager.lookup(DefaultComponentLookupManager.java:147)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultComponentLookupManager.lookupMap(DefaultComponentLookupManager.java:199)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookupMap(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:309)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookupMap(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:303)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.container.initialization.InitializeLoggerManagerPhase.initializeCoreComponent(InitializeLoggerManagerPhase.java:47)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.container.initialization.AbstractCoreComponentInitializationPhase.execute(AbstractCoreComponentInitializationPhase.java:37)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.initializePhases(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:886)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.initialize(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:834)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.construct(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:811)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.<init>(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:222)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.<init>(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:260)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.xwork.PlexusLifecycleListener.contextInitialized(PlexusLifecycleListener.java:76)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3764)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4216)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:760)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:740)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:544)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:626)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:553)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:488)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1206)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:293)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:120)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1306)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1570)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1579)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1559)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:803)
log4j:ERROR Either File or DatePattern options are not set for appender
[rolling].



Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> 
> I think you need to create the log dir and conf dir in the directory used
> in appserver.base system property
> 
> Emmanuel
> 
> Orford, Ian a écrit :
>> Thanks Emmanuel,
>> 
>> I played with jetty and ended up with the same exception there, so no
>> reason to believe that winstone is behaving differently.
>> 
>> I tried -Dappserver.base=., but that didn't have any noticable effect. 
>> 
>> I'm now going to try David Goemans' suggestion.
>> 
>> 
>> Regards, Ian
>> 
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Emmanuel Venisse [mailto:emmanuel@venisse.net] 
>>> Sent: 16 April 2007 15:55
>>> To: continuum-dev@maven.apache.org
>>> Subject: Re: Issues with getting 1.1-SNAPSHOT started
>>>
>>> winstone isn't tested yet, but if you can run continuum with 
>>> it, please update the wiki.
>>>
>>> About the exception, you need to start your container with 
>>> "appserver.base" system property, Continuum use it for some 
>>> paths like the log file.
>>> You can use what you want for this property, it's only need 
>>> to be a valid directory.
>>>
>>> Emmanuel
>>>
>>> Orford, Ian a écrit :
>>>> I hope addressing this to continuum-dev is correct.
>>>>
>>>> I've been using 1.0.3 for some time now, but thought I'd check out 
>>>> 1.1-SNAPSHOT just to see what good things I can look forward to, or 
>>>> even to start using it if it's stable.
>>>>
>>>> I've build it and got the war file. I'm trying to deploy this on my 
>>>> build server using winstone as the container.
>>>>
>>>> First off, is there any reason why winstone isn't a good 
>>> choice for a 
>>>> basic container into which I can deploy this war? If it's 
>>> not, what's 
>>>> a good alternative?
>>>>
>>>> Are there any notes I can look at re configuration? I'm getting the 
>>>> following.....
>>>>
>>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>> Ian
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [Winstone 2007/04/16 15:30:50] - Beginning extraction from war file 
>>>> [webapp 2007/04/16 15:30:53] - Loading plexus context 
>>> properties from:
>>>> '/WEB-INF/plexus.properties'
>>>> [webapp 2007/04/16 15:30:53] - Could not load plexus context 
>>>> properties
>>>> from: '/WEB-INF/plexus.properties'
>>>> log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
>>>> java.io.FileNotFoundException: /logs/continuum.log (No such file or
>>>> directory)
>>>>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
>>>>         at 
>>> java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)
>>>>         at 
>>> java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
>>>>         at 
>>> org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:272)
>>>>         at
>>>> org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:151)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.activateOptions(DailyRolling
>>>> Fi
>>>> leAppender.java:206)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter
>>> .java:247)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.ja
>>>> va
>>>> :123)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.ja
>>>> va
>>>> :87)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurat
>>>> or
>>>> .java:645)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurat
>>>> or
>>>> .java:603)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyCo
>>>> nf
>>>> igurator.java:500)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator
>>>> .j
>>>> ava:406)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure(PropertyConfigurator.j
>>>> av
>>>> a:340)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.logging.log4j.Log4JLoggerManager.start(Log4JLogger
>>>> Ma
>>>> nager.java:299)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.personality.plexus.lifecycle.phase.StartPhase.exec
>>>> ut
>>>> e(StartPhase.java:33)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycleHandler.start(AbstractL
>>>> if
>>>> ecycleHandler.java:128)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.component.manager.AbstractComponentManager.startCo
>>>> mp
>>>> onentLifecycle(AbstractComponentManager.java:142)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.component.manager.AbstractComponentManager.createC
>>>> om
>>>> ponentInstance(AbstractComponentManager.java:132)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.component.manager.ClassicSingletonComponentManager
>>>> .g
>>>> etComponent(ClassicSingletonComponentManager.java:90)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultComponentLookupManager.lookup(DefaultCompon
>>>> en
>>>> tLookupManager.java:147)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultComponentLookupManager.lookupMap(DefaultCom
>>>> po
>>>> nentLookupManager.java:199)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookupMap(DefaultPlexusCont
>>>> ai
>>>> ner.java:309)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookupMap(DefaultPlexusCont
>>>> ai
>>>> ner.java:303)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.container.initialization.InitializeLoggerManagerPh
>>>> as
>>>> e.initializeCoreComponent(InitializeLoggerManagerPhase.java:47)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.container.initialization.AbstractCoreComponentInit
>>>> ia
>>>>
>>> lizationPhase.execute(AbstractCoreComponentInitializationPhase
>>> .java:37)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.initializePhases(DefaultPle
>>>> xu
>>>> sContainer.java:886)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.initialize(DefaultPlexusCon
>>>> ta
>>>> iner.java:834)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.construct(DefaultPlexusCont
>>>> ai
>>>> ner.java:811)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.<init>(DefaultPlexusContain
>>>> er
>>>> .java:222)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.<init>(DefaultPlexusContain
>>>> er
>>>> .java:260)
>>>>         at
>>>>
>>> org.codehaus.plexus.xwork.PlexusLifecycleListener.contextInitialized(P
>>>> le
>>>> xusLifecycleListener.java:76)
>>>>         at
>>>> winstone.WebAppConfiguration.<init>(WebAppConfiguration.java:885)
>>>>         at
>>>> winstone.HostConfiguration.initWebApp(HostConfiguration.java:131)
>>>>         at 
>>> winstone.HostConfiguration.<init>(HostConfiguration.java:73)
>>>>         at winstone.HostGroup.initHost(HostGroup.java:85)
>>>>         at winstone.HostGroup.<init>(HostGroup.java:45)
>>>>         at winstone.Launcher.<init>(Launcher.java:194)
>>>>         at winstone.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:389)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> This e-mail is confidential and the information contained 
>>> in it may be privileged.  It should not be read, copied or 
>>> used by anyone other than the intended recipient.  If you 
>>> have received it in error, please contact the sender 
>>> immediately by telephoning +44 (0)20 7623 8000 or by return 
>>> email, and delete the e-mail and do not disclose its contents 
>>> to any person.  We believe, but do not warrant, that this 
>>> e-mail and any attachments are virus free, but you must take 
>>> full responsibility for virus checking.  Please refer to 
>>> http://www.dresdnerkleinwort.com/disc/email/ and read our 
>>> e-mail disclaimer statement and monitoring policy.
>>>> Dresdner Kleinwort is the trading name of the investment banking 
>>>> division of Dresdner Bank AG, and operates through Dresdner 
>>> Bank AG, 
>>>> Dresdner Kleinwort Limited, Dresdner Kleinwort Securities 
>>> Limited and 
>>>> their affiliated or associated companies.  Dresdner Bank AG is a 
>>>> company incorporated in Germany with limited liability and 
>>> registered 
>>>> in England (registered no. FC007638, place of business 30 Gresham 
>>>> Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is authorised by the German Federal 
>>>> Financial Supervisory Authority and by the Financial Services 
>>>> Authority ('FSA') and regulated by the FSA for the conduct of 
>>>> designated business in the UK.  Dresdner Kleinwort Limited is a 
>>>> company incorporated in England (registered no. 551334, registered 
>>>> office 30 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is authorised and 
>>>> regulated by the FSA.  Dresdner Kleinwort Securities Limited is a 
>>>> company incorporated in England (registered no. 1767419, registered 
>>>> office 30 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is authorised
>>>  and regulated by the FSA.
>>>>
>> 
>> 
>> --
>> This e-mail is confidential and the information contained in it may be
>> privileged.  It should not be read, copied or used by anyone other than
>> the intended recipient.  If you have received it in error, please contact
>> the sender immediately by telephoning +44 (0)20 7623 8000 or by return
>> email, and delete the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any
>> person.  We believe, but do not warrant, that this e-mail and any
>> attachments are virus free, but you must take full responsibility for
>> virus checking.  Please refer to
>> http://www.dresdnerkleinwort.com/disc/email/ and read our e-mail
>> disclaimer statement and monitoring policy.
>> 
>> Dresdner Kleinwort is the trading name of the investment banking division
>> of Dresdner Bank AG, and operates through Dresdner Bank AG, Dresdner
>> Kleinwort Limited, Dresdner Kleinwort Securities Limited and their
>> affiliated or associated companies.  Dresdner Bank AG is a company
>> incorporated in Germany with limited liability and registered in England
>> (registered no. FC007638, place of business 30 Gresham Street, London
>> EC2V 7PG), and is authorised by the German Federal Financial Supervisory
>> Authority and by the Financial Services Authority ('FSA') and regulated
>> by the FSA for the conduct of designated business in the UK.  Dresdner
>> Kleinwort Limited is a company incorporated in England (registered no.
>> 551334, registered office 30 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is
>> authorised and regulated by the FSA.  Dresdner Kleinwort Securities
>> Limited is a company incorporated in England (registered no. 1767419,
>> registered office 30 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is authorised
>  and regulated by the FSA.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Issues-with-getting-1.1-SNAPSHOT-started-tf3584927.html#a10065007
Sent from the Continuum - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


Mime
View raw message