continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Drolshammer <drols...@idi.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: Does this feature already exist?
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:47:52 GMT
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Erik Drolshammer <drolsham@idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
>> Can you please elaborate?
>> Which feature do you believe implements this?
>> Where can I find it?
>> (Please, both src-code reference and reference to documentation.)
>
> What feature are we discussing?
>
> I haven't read the whole thing, but the mention of 'swap the
> dependencies in question with newer versions' in the PDF caught my
> eye.

An example to illustrate:

You have four projects in your Continuum server and three of these have
a dependency on say log4j-1.1.jar. The idea is that if you add
log4j-1.2.jar to Continuum you would want to test if the existing
projects build successfully with the new version.

Upon adding log4j-1.2 three projects identical to the original projects
(except with log4j v1.2 instead of v1.1) should be generated. These
_derived_ projects could then be build by Continuum.

This trivial example could be solved by manually, but what if you decide
to change two, three, many such dependencies? The number of combinations
quickly grow quite large.

The feature is perhaps most useful for developers responsible for "core"
libraries. Wouldn't it be nice of the people behind e.g. Spring or
Plexus could test the new version against a whole range of different
projects?

Did this make it clearer?
Has Continuum 1.1 anything that resembles this?

> Is it anything like Apache Gump, which tries to build the latest of
> everything against the latest of everything else?  See:
> http://gump.apache.org/

Kind of.

--
Regards