continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:31:45 GMT
A bit of (constructive) criticism ahead

On 3/9/07, Jesse McConnell <jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have gone through jira issues there were assigned to 1.1 and spread
> things out a bit.
>
> here is my criteria I used in separating out the issues:
>
> 1.1-alpha-1 -> issues that need to be addressed asap before we pull
> any kinda alpha
> 1.1-alpha-2 -> higher importance issues and ones generally related to xml-rpc
> 1.1-alpha-# -> issues that probably ought to be resolved in the alpha releases
> Future -> stuff that probably ain't going to get done any day soon

These are the numbers I see in jira right now
1.1-alpha-1  	11
1.1-alpha-2 	72
1.1-alpha-# 	156

Am I the only one that thinks we are lost?
230+ issues before having even a beta?
do we want to release the final 1.1 in 2050?

Perfect software doesn't exist, this is getting really out of control.
Any 1.x release that takes more than 3 months should make us think
that something is wrong and we are over planning.

> the idea being that we can make new sequential release issues off of
> the 1.1-alpha-# release tag until we are done with alpha releases.  I
> think once 1.1-alpha-1 is released then we can go through 1.1-alpha-2
> and decide what should be done, make a new release called 1.1-alpha-3
> and bulk move issues that aren't going to be addressed then (like
> maybe all the xml-rpc issues)

as I said other times we are using alpha as an excuse, if something
breaks then we can say "it was just an alpha". I would say no big
deal, if 1.1 has problems they will be fixed in 1.1.x, it's fine as
long as it doesn't take one year to get it out

> I think we shouldn't worry about making these actually releases cut
> with the maven-release-plugin.  I say we just make a build and get it
> available for download.  Also tag the continuum trunk accordingly.
> Then we ought to try to release a new alpha every few weeks until we
> have the alpha-# issues converging towards 0.

it shouldn't take us long to get dependencies released, this is our
process, if the process needs to be improved we can talk about it, but
apply it only sometimes doesn't sound right

> When we actually get to beta/rc releases then we can cut actual releases.
>
> Now about my allocation of issues, its not gospel!  If you disagree
> with any of my assigning of fix versions then just fix it yourself
> (the version, or better yet the bug).

if nobody takes care of an issue or there's no patch that issue should
be pushed, period.
This is a community and if people don't help on their own issues
and/or they can't convince somebody to help too bad for them.

> At the time of this writing I have the 1.1-alpha-1 release down to a
> modest 8 issues with a few of those questionable and/or waiting for a
> bit of feedback.  I have yet to go through the 200 or so unfiled
> issues though so that might go up a bit, I'll do that now.

i would get alpha 1 out of the door right now, as long as there is no
blocker issues, I think that's the hint, if there are no blocker
issues the release can't be blocked, and many people have already
asked about making a release.

This is how it looks to me from outside, as I didn't have time lately
to work on Continuum.

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.