continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Trygve Laugstøl <tryg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Poll: release continuum alpha
Date Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:33:40 GMT
Stephane Nicoll wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Trygve Laugstøl <trygvis@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> A milestone should focus on showing the fancy new features and bugs
>> fixed. Stuff like security, upgrading existing databases etc are all
>> secondary.
>
> I understand what you mean but I think database upgrade is very
> important because users will want to test continuum 1.1 with their
> data. This first release will also give you a chance to test your
> upgrade procedure.

Given than adding projects to Continuum is so easy it is (imo) not an
important option and should in no way stand in the way of a *milestone*
release.

To me this release is important for two different cases:

1) The last release was April 25th 2006. That is close to a year and I
doubt 1.1 will be out by April 25th 2007 in any case, I would have
serious issues voting on a release that you can't say is done today and
start testing from now till the 25th.

The point is that the users need to see progress in features and stability.

2) There are as far as I know only "old" developers working on Continuum
these days and by getting stuff out it will hopefully spark a few people
to start contributing patches and possibly become developers. I'm also
sure a lot of bug reports will be filed and the development will make
sure that they're going in the right direction.

--
Trygve