continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Edward Gruber <cgru...@israfil.net>
Subject Re: [vote] merge id-refactor branch changes
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:58:20 GMT
Trygve Laugstøl wrote:

> 1.0 to a 1.1 is not the time when you break an API. You can add stuff
> with minor released, but not break things. This is the versioning
> conventions used for all Maven-related projects. Perhaps trunk should
> be 2.0, but as long as it's 1.1 it can't break the API.

Well, in the Java world, this convention (While good) is not very well
followed.  I agree, however, that 1.1. should be backwards compatible in
a good versioning system, so I support your notion that trunk should be
2.0.  I think there is enough change that is substantial enough in
operation and features that 2.x is probably a more useful description.
This isn't a small increment in functionality.

Christian.

--

*christian** gruber + process coach and architect*

*Israfil Consulting Services Corporation*

*email** cgruber@israfil.net + bus 905.640.1119 + mob 416.998.6023*