continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Thakur" <rahul.thakur.x...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: short term branch for project/group keys
Date Sat, 23 Dec 2006 02:34:58 GMT

[snip]
>> the project.id and projectGroup.id will basically disappear from
>> continuum, reserved strictly for the underlying store.  The store can
>> do whatever it wants with them.
>
> Ok, so a project(Group)? will have:
> id : int
> key : String
> name : String
>
> Where key is used as a reference, id is used as a datastore/model
> identity, and name is used as a display. Sounds good.
>
> We could then have a table of "old names":
> id : int
> oldKey : String
>
> These could be used so that failed lookup on a key could then look in
> the old key's to find out what the new one is (like when you move an
> issue in JIRA). I'm not sure this is needed initially - only if we
> support picking up renames to the project itself.

[/snip]

That was my point in my last email. I understand why we need that "old
key" table but this would be something that will just get bloated over
time. There could be a 'housekeeper' process that can clean up old keys
after a certain time has expired. I don't see a reason why we need to
keep the old stuff for long.

Cheers,
Rahul