continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse McConnell" <>
Subject build scheduling issues
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 22:51:57 GMT
I was reading through the DefaultContinuum.buildProjects( Schedule id
) method and after discussing some things with Emmanuel...I think we
have a problem here.  When I went through and refactored things to
support a more Project Group centric setup with continuum I changed
this method a bit.

Originally, this method would gather up all projects that would be
triggered by that schedule, run them all through the project sorter
and then build each in sequence.

When I added the project groups to this mix, I changed things to be on
a project group basis, so that on a project group by project group
basis it would order the projects and build them.  At the time I
thought this was the way to go...but maybe not.

17:14 <evenisse> we need to take all projects from all groups, sort them
17:15 <evenisse> if we don't have a cycle, it's ok and we build all
17:15 <evenisse> if it isn't ok, we sort project by group

For example, if we loaded up a Plexus group and a Maven group...the
way it currently is (with my change) it would process all triggered
builds within one group and then process all triggered builds in the
other group.   This would not take into account potential dependencies
between the two.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I am inclined to fix it up so
its like it used to be where all projects across all project groups
are thrown into the graph....I keep feeling like I am missing
something wrong with this, but I can't pin it down.

One thing that perhaps Emmanuel could explain a bit more is the third
comment there.  In our conversation on this he said that he thinks
that the cycles are cropping up all the time, and if thats the case
then we are building a lot of unordered builds which would account for
some of the strange reports we have been getting.  Are you saying that
if we detect the cycle we default back to the way I am doing it now?
order within the groups...

jesse mcconnell

View raw message