continuum-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse McConnell" <jesse.mcconn...@gmail.com>
Subject project group shortcuts
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:06:29 GMT
last week I mentioned this in rahul's zero-conf mail

if this is really what we want to change here then perhaps we ought to
> make it an option for configuration of the project group in all cases,
> the ability to specify the name of the project group...or give it some
> kinda short identification element.  I kinda like that idea, then we
> can use 'Doxia' for 'The Doxia Project' and we can even use the short
> user input project group Id in the urls...

to do this I would put a textfield on the project group creation screens and
then an edittable one in the project config screens, and add it to the
model.  This shortcut would replace the locations where the projectGroupName
is currently being passed around on actions to let projects know what group
is being interacted with.  Api changes obviously to support this as well,
but I don't think this would be too terribly bad to get into place. We get
to avoid passing around the jdo projectGroupId values which might get screwy
with clustering if we have different stores and the project groups are not
in sync.

We would also be able to do some mapping to allow for direct url friendly
linking to the summary pages

http://ci.goo.org:9090/Doxia which would go to the groupSummary page for the
Doxia project.

Does anyone have any objections to adding this functionality?  It would
clean up the interactions for the webwork actions dealing with project names
(having "The Doxia Project" passed around on the url's is kinda chintz) not
to mention allow the m1/m2/ant/shell project groups have a consistent way to
referring to the project group concept.  I can see a lot of bonuses and no
downsides right now...I think it will clean up a lot of different
interactions.

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell