continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Re: contents of a 1.1 release
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:08:36 GMT
So we have ...

1) Profiles (should call this build-profile)
   This is a way to pre-define an environment type to execute the build
under.

    Example of build-profile against a maven 2 java project:
     * Choose the JDK to run with.
     * Choose the Maven version to run with.
    Example of build-profile against a c/c++ shell project:
     * Choose the c compiler.
     * Choose the architecture output.

    Set up your project to execute against 1 (or more) build-profiles.

    Combining this effort with the G-Build functionality would mean we can
    a build farm of available environments / platforms and then have a
single
    project build across all of those environments and produce a grid of
    success / failure for each build.

    Impact to user: Yes. Positive.
    Impact to developer: Yes.
    Impacts to code base: Huge.
    Impacts to Database Schema: Definite.

2) Refactoring for Workflows.
   This is an internal effort to make maintenance easier.
   Allows for extending the default continuum process / flows.

    Impact to user: No.
    Impact to developer: Large. Eases maintenance.
    Impacts to code base: Huge.
    Impacts to Database Schema: No.

3) Refactoring JDO Stores.
   Internal effort to reel in the mess that is continuum / jdo store
management.

    Impact to user: Yes. Upgrade problematic. Ease initial configuration.
    Impact to developer: Large. Make contributions easier.
    Impacts to code base: Yes.
    Impacts to Database Schema: Yes.

4) Downstream Dependency Change build-trigger.
   If a downstream dependency has changed, but the project code in SCM
has not, trigger a new build.

    Impact to user: Yes. Identifies potential problems before they
linger too long.
    Impact to developer: Minor.
    Impacts to code base: Minor, mostly new functionality.
    Impacts to Database Schema: No.

5) Proactive Dependency Build.
   Creates a side project / build using an in-memory pom that is a copy
of the project with all bleeding edge dependencies.
   This allows for proactive identification of potential dependency
upgrade problems.

    Impact to user: Yes. Proactive compile helps in development of project.
    Impact to developer: Minor.
    Impacts to code base: Minor, mostly new functionality.
    Impacts to Database Schema: No.

6) Database Schema Tool.
   We really should create a tool to aide in the management of the
database schema.
   So we can upgrade the database schema, or even create a blank schema
for a new jdbc datasource.
   Maybe even a tool to move the data from one jdbc source to another.

    Impact to user: Yes. Tools are good.
    Impact to developer: Minor.
    Impacts to code base: Minor, mostly new functionality.
    Impacts to Database Schema: Yes.

- Joakim Erdfelt