continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Kenney Westerhof <ken...@apache.org>
Subject Cancelling builds
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:09:02 GMT

Hi Team,

Yesterday I've committed some code to enable cancelling builds:

* Schedules have a setting that indicates the maximum job execution time,
  where job means BuildProjectTask; 0 means indefinitely, the default being 1 hour.

* You can cancel a running build.

I'm not sure where to put the cancel build button, so right now I've added a '(cancel)' link
to the StateCell that's displayed in the projectGroupSummaryAction page (and probably other
places).

Some questions/remarks:

- What's the best place to place the cancel build button?

  Perhaps just list the job on the summary page as 'current job'
  (in the future: current jobs) and add a cancel button there.

- The build ID of the cancelled task will either be 0 or max(build id),
  depending on when it's cancelled. The project _is_ set in error state
  so it finishes normally. This gives me the idea that the build number issue
  already was there; this needs to be fixed (I'm looking into it).

- The results page is broken - some jdo detached error with scmResults. I can't figure out
  why it doesn't work.

- We might want to set a timeout on individual actions instead of the entire job (1.2?)

- An issue Emmanuel has pointed out to me is that cancelling builds on windows doesn't work
  well. I've dug into the sun site and found several others with the same problem.

  The issue is that on windows, if you execute a batchfile (Runtime.exec) and you cancel that,
  any process started in the batchfile isn't killed. This is due to windows process management.

  Just a question: why not call m1/m2/java from a new classloader/thread within continuum
itself? Saves some shell magick,
  and it's more easily killed (using the concurrent package). Or call java directly - also
no problem with killing that
  and any child processes.

-- Kenney