continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Nielsen <Jan.Niel...@sungardhe.com>
Subject Re: Release Management for Maven/Continuum
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:29:30 GMT
FWIW, this sounds good to me, Jeremy.

-Jan

Jan Nielsen * System Architect * SunGard Higher Education * Tel +1 801 257
4155 * Fax +1 801 485 6606 * jan.nielsen@sungardhe.com * www.sungardhe.com
* 90 South 400 West, Suite 500, Salt Lake City, UT USA

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this email in error,
please notify the sender and delete this email from your system. Thank
you.

"Jeremy Whitlock" <jcscoobyrs@gmail.com>
08/24/2006 05:51 PM
Please respond to
continuum-dev@maven.apache.org

continuum-dev@maven.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Release Management for Maven/Continuum

Hi all,
    After talking with Jason I have started on phase 1 of this venture.
Phase 1 is as follows:

1.  Create a model for Maven to use for the release descriptor
2.  Integrate the model into the Maven release plugin

I know...it seems too simple but that should be phase 1.  What this will
do
is allow Maven to use a Java object, which can be persisted to a file like
XML, to store the model.  Why is this important?  Once we want to have
Continuum be able to perform the release it is as simple as sending the
release descriptor object to Continuum to do the work and return a status.

Phase 2 will start with Continuum facing things which will get Continuum
capable of performing the release and returning a release status object.
This phase will also be used to update the web interface to be able to
perform releases based on the guidelines Brett and Jason have discussed in
this email.

Phase 3 will be to modify the Maven release plugin model to allow for
Continuum bits to be stored in the model and used to delegate the release
process to Maven.  This process will also involve having Maven handle the
release status object returned.

How does this sound?  It is pretty high level and does not discuss or
outline any of the lower level details.

Take care,

Jeremy

P.S. - This email is the result of Jason and I talking so if I butchered
what was discussed, please let me know Jason.