continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: continuum alpha releases
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:34:26 GMT
I don't have any opposition to a promoted build, whatever we call it.
I think it's a good idea.

However, I'm really over the idea of having alpha and beta releases
(even though I've been planning the latter one myself), at least in
the form we have now.

I like the idea of having promoted builds, say, once a week. When a
major feature or major bug is fixed. Think IDEA EAP as a model for
it, though we'd announce it to the dev/users list.

So, we do our regular CI builds, and then regularly agree with a
quick vote that a certain build is stable enough to inflict on testers.

If we had build labeling, we may well call it alpha/M1, etc. It's not
that different.

The two things I'm trying to avoid: going through the SCM tagging/
release process too often (though that's not necessarily that bad),
mixing alphas with production quality stuff (there's not enough
separation currently - and it gives us an excuse to point people at
the latest alpha rather than making a stable build). I wouldn't put
these releases on the /dist/ system.

I don't think JIRA should be segmented. It should only have final
versions in there. If we are concerned that the 1.1 release is going
to take forever, then cut it down to less features and more stability
stuff and focus on 1.2 next. In it's 5 year history the Maven project
has never done a .x release that wasn't a plugin, so I think it's
time to change that.

I've discussed this on this list before (and I may well be alone on
this, so feel free to ignore me). You might be able to turn that up
with a search.

Anyway, I think its a good idea to have some sort of public test
release of the current trunk next week before we bite into the
security stuff any further.

Cheers,
Brett