continuum-dev mailing list archives

From elpunzalan <elpunza...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Management for Maven/Continuum
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:41:34 GMT

Thanks brett for posting that.

white-site is available at
http://people.apache.org/~epunzalan/continuum-white-site/groupStatus.html.

It does not comply 100% with what brett and I have discussed, but it does
give the flexibility to release the whole project group or just a selected
few... which kind'a gives us an idea on how continuum will be working on
multi-project releases.

I agree that the release process would be a separate background execution
bec releases should be a closely monitored procedure.

brettporter wrote:

> Finally getting around to replying :)
>
> I spoke to Edwin on IRC and he's proposed the following steps:
> 1) go to the project group...
> 2) then click on the release project icon ( a new icon )
> 3) then a page will prompt for the release version and the next dev
> version...
> 4) after filling the required parameters, click the prepare for
> release button...
> 5) the page after the procedure is either a progress or an auto-
> refreshing page, i'm still open )
> 6) when the release prepare is a success, then a button for the
> perform release is shown
> 7) otherwise, some kind of a build failure report will be shown
> 8) and repeat 6/7 during perform release
>
> So this part is pretty straightforward. For 3) the webwork
> modeldriven action can be used against the modello model to easily
> produce a form page. For 5) the WW showcase has a "run in background,
> show page and refresh" example that could be used, though I consider
> that a nice to have.
>
> There seems to be a pretty good base with the current model. I think
> the tasks that are needed in the release plugin:
> - add any missing elements to the model
> - change the release mojos to marshal arguments to this instead of
> the current configuration classes and pass that into the release process
> - need to retain the ability to prompt for those not specified as
> happens now, so the prepare(Release) method will be new. Continuum
> will set the mojo into non-interactive mode to ensure this doesn't
> happen.
>
> And in continuum its wiring up the steps as above. Edwin was going to
> make adjustments to the white site to be able to visualise this
> before diving in.
>
> The tricky things that might need more discussion:
> - how are multi-module projects handled in Continuum? I think for
> this incarnation we go with the simple solution which is to just
> trigger it on the project on its merits (so if its the parent, the
> whole lot is released)
>
> - how is the project built? Is it queued into Continuum, or are the
> same tools used to run a separate build in the background?
>
> - what files are modified? the current checkout in Continuum, or a
> clean one? If it is the current one, builds need to be locked out
> while the release process is in progress.
>
> I think the short term solution is to go with a clean checkout and
> doing it all in the background, separate from the continuum build
> queue. This seems the easiest.
>
> In the long term, has Continuum becomes more feature rich, I would
> rather see it is a queued build with certain settings enabled (clean
> checkout, clean repository) so that other features such as monitoring
> the scheduling could be reused.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> How could the work be partitioned up so that both interested people
> can work on it effectively?
>
> Cheers,
> [...]

Sent from the Continuum - Dev forum at Nabble.com.