continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Edwin Punzalan <epunza...@exist.com>
Subject Re: Release Management for Maven/Continuum
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 04:30:41 GMT

I'll be updating the white-site...

Please see my inline comments below

Brett Porter wrote:
> Feedback:
> - I'd rather Release be equivalent to "build now" (ie, we might need
> an icon for it), so added to the right-hand tasks per project, and
> added to the individual project page as a button.
>
> - I don't think this should operate on a group. It doesn't necessarily
> equate to a multi-module project, so instead I'd just go project by
> project. If they hit the parent then they get to release a bunch at
> once, as is the case in maven

Above is what we've talked about in IRC and its fine with me.  Makes
things simpler, too.
> - I like the summary page that lists out all the defaults, however
> instead of an "edit" link, how about making the whole thing a form
> with defaults that gets submitted?
The summary page shows only a few of the release parameters. So the
"Edit" link is there to direct the user to the more detailed release
configuration page.  But since we'll be releasing projects one at a
time, I guess I can incorporate what you mean into the new white-site.

> - I don't think we should have checkboxes on which modules to release,
> as that doesn't really correspond to what we have now, and likewise
> the "from parent" checkbox wouldn't be relevant
I get what you mean, so ok.

> - there will be more elements to configure - we should get them into
> the interface now
I'll try to put them all in the next white-site

> - on prepare finished, it should look like the build result page. We
> are only building one thing if you agree with the above
>
> - likewise for perform
>
> - as Jason said, prep and perform should be separate. I'm not sure of
> the best way to do this - perhaps hitting the release button presents
> the following options:
>   * prepare release from current code
>   * perform release from (list of previously prepared releases that
> haven't been performed)
>   * perform release from SCM tag
ok, so this means continuum should remember prepared releases. Should
there be a separate release working directory for this? Because a
prepared release may get lost after a scheduled build.

<snip>