continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Omarjee <>
Subject Listeners for build events
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:57:47 GMT

I have a requirement to perform other operations before checkout of a
project, as well as after a successful or failed build.

The context of why I need this is as follows; I am using PVCS at a corporate
client, and have already begun writing a maven-scm-plugin for PVCS (I can't
sit around waiting for Serena to contribute their plugin). Using agile
methodology, I would normally perform a checkout, start the build process
(if changes are detected), and on successful build apply a label to the
source repository. But alas, PVCS does not have metadata locally thus a
label can not be applied to the version that was originally checked out,
which may result in inconsistencies.

A solution we have come it with (read hack), is :

 - label the repository before checkout with a tag (eg. Building #123 -
01/07/2006 9:00)
- checkout using that label
- perform the build
- and on success rename the label (which strangely PVCS supports) (eg. Build
#123 - 01/07/2006 9:00)
- and on failure the label is removed (which strangely PVCS also supports)

If only we could have listeners to some important events such as build
start, on success, on failure, build finished, etc. this could be pluggable

I don't mind having a look at this and take up the challenge of maybe
implementing it, but I need some guidance and advice on the appropriateness
of this as a solution.

Sent from the Continuum - Dev forum at

View raw message