continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuum 1.1 roadmap
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:25:12 GMT
On 28/06/2006 8:01 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> I assume for this we are going to release a series of alphas? How about
> for each major feature implemented we release an alpha?

When we last discussed it on the development process, we talked about
instead doing regular promotion of the automated builds (eg, roughly
once a week we say "this is a stable build with something new/a good
fix/etc, let's ask people to test it").

I'd really like to try that (and add anything to continuum to make it
easier :)

> If the work is done in a branch we can just comment as the work
> commences. I'm sure I won't find the time but I would still like to try
> SASS which Patrick has been working on if I can.

Carlos' work is on trunk now and he seems committed to getting it
started next week, so maybe the best thing is for him to work on trunk
and doing sass on a branch if it's just going to be a spare time thing?

>>> +1

My only opinion on this is to think about it, but save the work until we
bump into the next big problem that is going to require a lot of effort
to fix. It seems stable enough in 1.0.3 and if it remains that way
through 1.1 it can buy us some time.

I'm interested in seeing how JPA progresses as a replacement for this
(even if it requires Java 5, which it would be nice to move to anyway :)
There should be a better choice of implementations and the API is
similar I think.

It's a shame we're having so many problems, as the jdo api is actually
quite nice.

BTW, have we done much trials with databases other than hsqldb and
derby? Maybe the problem isn't JDO :)

Absolutely. We should talk through this one a bit more, as maybe the
solution is to have it better understand module relationships. This also
relates to something I'd like to see happen where we have the checkout
in the normal layout instead of isolated directories (to avoid checking
out the modules twice - once in the parent and once for each module).

- Brett

--
Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/