continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Continuum 1.1 roadmap
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:40:28 GMT

On 28 Jun 06, at 11:25 AM 28 Jun 06, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 28/06/2006 8:01 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> I assume for this we are going to release a series of alphas? How
>> about for each major feature implemented we release an alpha?
>
> When we last discussed it on the development process, we talked
> about instead doing regular promotion of the automated builds (eg,
> roughly once a week we say "this is a stable build with something
> new/a good fix/etc, let's ask people to test it").
>
> I'd really like to try that (and add anything to continuum to make
> it easier :)

Yes, but we still have to make some official public releases. I don't
think we can just release Continuum generated builds and then just
release 1.1? Or do I misunderstand what you're talking about.

>> If the work is done in a branch we can just comment as the work
>> commences. I'm sure I won't find the time but I would still like
>> to try SASS which Patrick has been working on if I can.
>
> Carlos' work is on trunk now and he seems committed to getting it
> started next week, so maybe the best thing is for him to work on
> trunk and doing sass on a branch if it's just going to be a spare
> time thing?

No, I would prefer them both to be done on the branch. I'm honestly
+0 on using Acegi and I want to see fully how it might be done before
passing judgement but I don't want it on the trunk as I honestly feel
that it's just so complicated. Carlos will have to show it's not and
that's just as easy to do on a branch.

> My only opinion on this is to think about it, but save the work
> until we bump into the next big problem that is going to require a
> lot of effort to fix. It seems stable enough in 1.0.3 and if it
> remains that way through 1.1 it can buy us some time.
>
> I'm interested in seeing how JPA progresses as a replacement for
> this (even if it requires Java 5, which it would be nice to move to
> anyway :) There should be a better choice of implementations and
> the API is similar I think.
>
> It's a shame we're having so many problems, as the jdo api is
> actually quite nice.
>
> BTW, have we done much trials with databases other than hsqldb and
> derby? Maybe the problem isn't JDO :)

> Absolutely. We should talk through this one a bit more, as maybe
> the solution is to have it better understand module relationships.
> This also relates to something I'd like to see happen where we have
> the checkout in the normal layout instead of isolated directories
> (to avoid checking out the modules twice - once in the parent and
> once for each module).
>
> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter <brett@apache.org>