continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Venisse <emman...@venisse.net>
Subject Security in Continuum
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:13:12 GMT
Hi,

In 1.1, we have decided to rework all security features.

I tried to use osuser but this framework is crappy :
- UserManager is a final class that load a osuser config file, we can't set parameters with
plexus
because all initialization phase are done in constuctor that read config file
- need to duplicate code between Authenticator and AccessProvider
- all providers interface extends a base provider interface that require some methods without

relation with provider must do

I looked at berkano too. This project use actually dao pattern and hibernate and permission
doesn't
seems to be supported

I looked at seraph too. This project seems to be interesting, it's used by confluence and
jira. It
seems we have all we need in it but it require to be used in a web app environment, so i think
we
can't use it if we want to use security framework in a standalone app in future.

jaas: i think we need a more high level framework. I'd prefer to use a plugin where jaas can
be plugged

acegisecurity: this framework seems to be the more advanced. The most important problem for
its
usage, it's that required spring framework. I don't like to include in continuum a new IOC
container
only for this feature especially with a 2Mo jar. Can we exclude easily spring dependency from
acegi
by writing a mockimplementation? Can we use it in a standalone app?

last possibility : we can write our own security framework. If we choose it, we'll can start
with
features required by continuum (user, group, general and per project permission schemes) and
we'll
add more functionalities later if we need more.

What do you think about all these frameworks?
Which do we choose?

Emmanuel