continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Sanchez <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Design - Replacing Continuum's Web Framework
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:59:24 GMT
On 12/1/05, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> > Acegi is based in servlet filters for the protection of urls, so the
> > web framework used won't impact its use.
>
> That's great. Does it still require spring to be configured though? We
> already have a massive download - I'd really like to reduce our
> dependency set.

You could be able to configure it in other way. Spring basically just
call getters and setters. However some classes implement Spring
interfaces and makes use of Spring tools. My first though and i think
John agrees with me is let's include first Spring jars, and after
worry about removing unneeded stuff.

> > I was in a project using JSF and seems that it's adoption is getting
> > speed, with different implementations and a lot of extensions,
> > utilities and tools. I've heard very good things about using
> > Facelets+JSF to create components, and also about Spring MVC, but
> > seems to me that people using Spring MVC is moving to JSF.
>
> I've heard a lot of negative points about its use without tools support
> too. However I haven't done the necessary investigation. I flicked
> through some examples and found the pages almost illegible for the
> number of tags for a simple form, and haven't really seen an example of
> templating (perhaps that is meant to be external?)

Yes, the spec by itself is not a good idea, you should use tools
available. MyFaces provides some cool stuff, new components,... There
are emerging a lot of projects surrounding JSF

I suggest this read http://jroller.com/page/RickHigh

> Although I don't have experience with either Spring MVC or WebWork, at
> least with an action framework and JSP/velocity its a bit familiar - I'd
> be worried about the learning curve of JSF as a barrier to contribution.
> I get the feeling WW will be easy to learn for your average struts
> veteran :)

I don't find it that difficult, and I think in a year new people will
stop learning Struts, and go for JSF. I'm pretty sure that a high
perecent of people willing to help will be *new* people, from
universities and so, more than *old* people

> Of those, WW seems the best choice to me as it is coming to Apache and
> is the more mature solution, and probably most familiar wrt summit.
>
> I'd also endorse the use of sitemesh. That is a servlet filter that sits
> in front of the app to "skin" it. It's very fast, and easy to use.

There's really good integration between myfaces and tiles, it composes
tha pages transparently for you.