concerted-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Community Building
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 19:06:07 GMT
Here are some ideas:
* Conduct business in the open, on the dev list and in JIRAs
* Be welcoming to new contributors
* Release early and often
* Make code super-easy to install
* Speak at conferences and meetups in every geography where you have contributors
* Create a twitter account for the project and use it to propagate news and have conversations
with other twitter users
* Encourage contributions of all sizes and types - not just code
* Add “how to get started”, “how you can help” pages to the web site
* Consider other channels (e.g. hangouts, IRC) if your community wants them. But be careful
to keep business (e.g. making decisions) on the list

If these ideas are familiar it’s no accident - the Apache Way is a proven method to build
community.

Julian