community-students mailing list archives

From Sreejith R <>
Subject Re: [NOTICE] Student Proposal Deadline approaching
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:05:12 GMT

I posted an email in the Accumulo list expressing interest to work on
Accumulo-1197. I did some research on the end-goals. I can write a
proposal. But, the mentorship itself is stuck here. Here's the conversation
that happened. I've posted them down here since its kinda hard to read it
in the archives:

I have an idea to tackle this Jira. I've read the dapper paper and
currently examining the work done in thrift. Shall I make a detailed post

I'm part of the ICFOSS Joint Mentoring Programme. So if someone can please
be my mentor, I'll be happy to work with you :)

*Wouldn't modifying HDFS in any way mean forking the project? Wouldn't that
have problems in the long run?

*Reply:* *<>*

Forking HDFS is not the way to go.  Getting your ideas and patches accepted
by HDFS is the way to go.

I think its a good idea to modify HDFS and Accumulo to support HTrace since
HBase has also started working in this direction. The progress made could
benefit both projects. And also, HTrace follows the Dapper conventions.

I'm not an expert. But from what I read in Google's paper and what's being
provided in HTrace, we can modify HDFS instrumentation to add a 64-bit
span-id to the RPC when tracing is enabled. And on the receiver side, if it
receives a span-id, it shall also be traced with both the parent and child
nodes having the same trace-id.

What do you think? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S: Also, the last date for application for the mentoring ends on 19th
July. So, I request all the experts here to please let me know if you're
ready to be a mentor. And I assure you, I won't bug you too much in your
busy scheduler. It's a mandatory rule for the ICFOSS programme

Through this, I'm hoping to accomplish the task of roughly integrating
HTrace into Accumulo in a timeframe of approximately 2-and-a-half to 3
months. After the programme, I shall continue work on refining it.

According to the programme, the coding phase 'officially' starts on 5th Aug
and the preparations for final submission and tidying up of documentation
should happen by 28th Oct.

*Reply: **<>

*I realize there isn't a lot of time before the deadline, but if you are
interested in submitting a patch to HDFS I would encourage you to engage
with the HDFS community to see if they are interested in such a feature to
increase the likelihood of your patch being accepted.  Their dev mailing
list is

I found one reference to Dapper in the HDFS tickets, HDFS-4680.  The ticket
isn't about tracing, but Todd Lipcon comments that he's experimented with
adding tracing to Hadoop RPC and asks if people would find that useful.
(There doesn't appear to be a reply.)

Oh. I saw the ticket. I'll try that direction as well. Also, what do you
think are my odds at getting a mentor since its too close to the deadline?

I'm still requesting mentorship since its a formality for the programme.
Still keeping my hopes up.

*Reply: **<>
I suspect people may be reluctant due to the unknown nature of making
changes to HDFS.  Perhaps if you could find someone to agree to be your
mentor on the HDFS side, it would be easier to find an Accumulo mentor for
the part of the project that involves integrating the HDFS changes with

*Me: *

So, when I'm putting an email in the HDFS list, shall I cite ACCUMULO-1197
or HDFS-4680?*

*Reply: <>*

Both. You could also mention that it could be useful for HBase as well, but
that you aren't planning to do the HBase integration as part of your