community-students mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pilot Mentoring Programme with India ICFOSS - Mentor Request Ma
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 17:32:16 GMT
On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Reshmi Raji <reshmiraji1612@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
>  My first mail got posted on mailing list(
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/mahout-dev/201307.mbox/browser)
> on
> 6 th of this month.But again in between Jenkins build errors are found on
> mailing list . I used to get all updates. Till now no mentors has responded
> to my request.
> Now what shall I do?
> Can I have any hope that someone will help me?
> In my Proposal what shall I mention in the place of Mentors Name?
>

> --

Remember that last week was a long holiday weekend, where lots of people
would be on vacation for the whole week. As I mentioned before, although we
encourage students to work on their own ideas, it's usually harder or at
least poses a bit more work as the students have to convince the project
and the mentor to take the idea.

Also, have you done any research to make sure the algorithm is not yet
available in Mahout ? I was doing a quick search on the internet, and found
some slides [1] which mention that Mahout might already have an
implementation of the algorithm (slide 19 and then slide 38).  Anyway,
 this is something the Mahout dev community needs to answer to you...

You might want to have a backup plan (e.g. another possible project), in
case you can not find a mentor for this or the feature is already available
in Mahout.

[1]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CE4QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.cs.wpi.edu%2F~cs525%2Fs13-MYE%2Flectures%2F6%2FHadoopAnalytics.pptx&ei=NfbaUY2lNIrU8wTmtoDYDA&usg=AFQjCNGfvCQGDrY-yVBugWaj5N0ood6T2Q&sig2=BEgIRv_a1mpbuwMkM88p-w

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende