community-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ensure all projects have DOAP RDP files in place
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:08:24 GMT
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 13:45, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

> Hi Sebb,
>
> Well there are two types of RDF files.
> One for the committee/PMC and one for the project (DOAP)

BTW, there may be multiple DOAPs for a PMC.

> While the committee needs regular updating if it contains the PMC and the Chair

Exactly, so it's best not to include that information.

> The project needs regular updating for releases and stuff like that (and in case of PLC4X,
the supported languages)
> We just moved both together to keep things simple.

Isn't it simpler to leave the PMC RDF with all the other ones since
it's best to leave it alone?

> Doesn't really matter where they are, it just seems they are usually not maintained as
it might be a little in transparent what files exist, where all files are located, which information
is needed for what and what has to be updated in which situation. Was quite a ride in preparation
of PLC4X graduation to find out which files in which repos were required to be updated to
update the information of the different parts of our infrastructure.
> Chris
>

> Am 24.04.19, 14:19 schrieb "sebb" <sebbaz@gmail.com>:
>
>     On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 12:49, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi Sebb,
>     >
>     > thing is ... from what I can see in the IoT space, it seems till a week ago
no-one was really using the DOAP files for their projects and from looking at the ones I know,
it seemed they were pretty outdated. So I intentionally moved the RDF files to a more prominent
position.

>     I don't follow how moving the PMC RDF file makes any difference.
>     That file does not contain any reference to the IoT space apart
>     perhaps from the charter.
>     Generally the PMC RDF file can be created and then left alone.
>
>     It's the DOAP files that are important for identifying what products
>     are available in the various different fields of use.
>
>     > Chris
>     >
>     > Am 24.04.19, 10:29 schrieb "sebb" <sebbaz@gmail.com>:
>     >
>     >     On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 09:08, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>
wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     > Hi all,
>     >     >
>     >     > I’m involved in the IoT track for ACNA and ACEU and was trying to
use [1] to find all Apache in the IoT space. At the time I first visited that page, the Apache
Ignite project was the only project to be listed there … now the PLC4X and Camel have been
added, but it seems most projects are not maintaining their RDP files correctly.
>     >     >
>     >     > It would be cool if some people could help with fixing this issue for
the projects they are involved with.
>     >     >
>     >     > Perhaps as a little help. I did the following for the PLC4X project:
>     >     >
>     >     >   1.  Created the two RDF files (PMC description [2] and Project description
[3]) which are published through our project website and are available at [4] and [5].
>     >     >   2.  Registered them in the committees.xml and the projects.xml files
here [6]
>     >     >   3.  Wait at most 24 hours
>     >
>     >     There is no need to create a local PMC description RDF file.
>     >     Most TLPs use the ones at
>     >     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/trunk/data/committees/
>     >
>     >     If yours does not exist yet, just create it and add it to committees.xml
>     >     There is a template for this purpose:
>     >     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/trunk/data/committees/_template.rdf
>     >
>     >     > Perhaps if you use these as templates, it helps get the files up and
running.
>     >     >
>     >     > The main reason we chose to maintain these files in our project, is
that I have seen quite a lot of projects without maintained RDF files, because they are so
invisible to most of the folks … if for example you have a look at the Flex ref file [7],
it still mentions Alex as chair, which isn’t the case anymore for more than 2 years now.
>     >
>     >     To avoid duplication and staleness of data, it's best not to use the
>     >     PMC RDF files for anything but the minimum, i.e.
>     >     id, name and charter
>     >
>     >     > Our hope is by managing these resources as part of the normal project,
they get a little more visibility and awareness.