community-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Attributing contributions to commercial vendors investing in projects
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2019 16:02:29 GMT
I’m sorry, I do not understand these responses.   I did not mention advertising, only attribution.
  I did not mention paying to get listed in the NOTICE.   These negative assumptions discourage
my motivation to contribute to these kinds of discussions.

It is my understanding that the employer of a committer almost always holds copyright of the
code contributed by that committer.  I do not see anything in the linked license that prohibits
anyone from adding their copyright to NOTICE because I thought a copyright was a legal notice.
 And plenty of companies that donated the original code are already in NOTICE files.

Please educate me.

Thanks,
-Alex

On 4/19/19, 6:15 AM, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

    On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 8:03 AM Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

    > > On Apr 19, 2019, at 1:06 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID <mailto:aharui@adobe.com.INVALID>>
wrote:

    > > Lots of NOTICE files give attribution to the pre-Apache project owner.  Why
not let other companies add their logo to NOTICE if it is important to them?

    > NOTICE has a specific reason for existence as the place where such notices and information
that MUST be delivered to the end-user is placed. It's not designed as a catch-all for any
"advertising" that someone would like people to see :)

    Just adding a citation to back up Jim's point.  See section 4d of the
    Apache License:

    https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.apache.org%2Flicenses%2FLICENSE-2.0&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C7cb64661c0db4c500f4008d6c4c90dcb%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636912765171411465&amp;sdata=uJR2ccKwN3JWGJpcC%2Fxq7jNVWy9EernG%2BV9GCWJoCVc%3D&amp;reserved=0

    - Sam Ruby