community-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Ensure all projects have DOAP RDP files in place
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2019 11:30:44 GMT
Hi Sebb,

thing is ... from what I can see in the IoT space, it seems till a week ago no-one was really
using the DOAP files for their projects and from looking at the ones I know, it seemed they
were pretty outdated. So I intentionally moved the RDF files to a more prominent position.

Chris

Am 24.04.19, 10:29 schrieb "sebb" <sebbaz@gmail.com>:

    On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 09:08, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I’m involved in the IoT track for ACNA and ACEU and was trying to use [1] to find
all Apache in the IoT space. At the time I first visited that page, the Apache Ignite project
was the only project to be listed there … now the PLC4X and Camel have been added, but it
seems most projects are not maintaining their RDP files correctly.

    > It would be cool if some people could help with fixing this issue for the projects
they are involved with.

    > Perhaps as a little help. I did the following for the PLC4X project:
    >
    >   1.  Created the two RDF files (PMC description [2] and Project description [3])
which are published through our project website and are available at [4] and [5].
    >   2.  Registered them in the committees.xml and the projects.xml files here [6]
    >   3.  Wait at most 24 hours

    There is no need to create a local PMC description RDF file.
    Most TLPs use the ones at
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/trunk/data/committees/

    If yours does not exist yet, just create it and add it to committees.xml
    There is a template for this purpose:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/trunk/data/committees/_template.rdf

    > Perhaps if you use these as templates, it helps get the files up and running.
    >
    > The main reason we chose to maintain these files in our project, is that I have seen
quite a lot of projects without maintained RDF files, because they are so invisible to most
of the folks … if for example you have a look at the Flex ref file [7], it still mentions
Alex as chair, which isn’t the case anymore for more than 2 years now.

    To avoid duplication and staleness of data, it's best not to use the
    PMC RDF files for anything but the minimum, i.e.
    id, name and charter

    > Our hope is by managing these resources as part of the normal project, they get a
little more visibility and awareness.

    Unfortunately experience shows they still get forgotten, particularly
    the PMC file (as noted above).