community-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: on "meritocracy"
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2019 15:57:02 GMT
Top-post:

Couldn’t this be made a President’s committee now and the board can chat about it elsewhere
until the next board meeting in a few weeks? The board could even defer until there are Policy
recommendations.

(I’m not excited about reading yet another passionate Jim/Sam debate about which type of
committee at this moment.)

Regards,
Dave

> On Apr 2, 2019, at 8:46 AM, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:
>
> On 4/2/2019 8:12 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> It's just that the comdev PMC is responsible for oversight and
>> reporting on those new initiatives, and it keeps things simple for
>> now.
>
> That is exactly what troubles me about making the new initiative part of ComDev.
>
> There seems to me to be a risk of going back to the "Do we have a problem? Even if we
have a problem do we really need to do anything about it?" stage every time the group tries
to do anything, including reporting progress to the board, and requesting resources from the
board.

> At best, comdev PMC oversight and reporting would be mostly harmless. They would just
pass through whatever the group would have sent directly to the board, only costing time.
At worst, it could make the current initiative go the way of all previous diversity efforts,
by discouraging and sapping the energy of the initiative's leadership.

> The risk of anything other than direct access to the board seems too high.
>
> [I have not attempted to join the initiative only because I do not have any expertise
in the area of solutions. I have been a woman in computing, in various ways, for over 50 years.
I want the current initiative to have the best possible chance of making a difference.]