community-dev mailing list archives

From Dinesh Joshi <djo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Attributing contributions to commercial vendors investing in projects
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2019 20:54:55 GMT
> On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:17 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
> imagine some ways to recognize corporations, but Rich has a hugely
> important point above: only individuals are recognized as committers,
> PMC members, or ASF Members - never companies.
>
> So while the corporate linking guidelines above show ways PMCs can
> choose to recognize corporations who help their work by donating
> servers/CI/whatever, we still expect all the core work on our projects
> to be done with individuals using their Apache committer affiliation -
> and not their corporate affiliation.

Some employers actually employ people from the community to work on Open Source projects.
They should also be recognized.

Regardless, I have a different view on this. It would be a nice for individuals to fill in
their professional affiliations to help others connect with their peers in their organizations.
Perhaps this could be displayed in the people directory? It is along the lines of allowing
individuals to declare their location which ASF already allows[1].

Thanks,

Dinesh

[1] http://community.zones.apache.org/map.html