community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on "meritocracy"
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2019 16:11:33 GMT
On 02/04/2019 10.57, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I don't think anyone expects it to die, but rather that D&I be one of
> the core aspects of community development and not an effort,
> in and of itself. If it reaches critical mass and warrants being
> spun out (due to clear division of tasks between D&I and ComDev)
> then I think everyone would support that.
>
> IMO, spinning out does not guarantee that an effort will succeed and
> not die (we have loads of history to show that), nor does keeping
> it, for the time being, in ComDev mean that it will wither or die on
> the vine.

The specific organizational structure does indeed seem like a moot
topic. What matters is that wherever this take place, the group is given
*space and freedom* to get some work done. I'd be fine with it being
within ComDev, I'd also be fine (but perhaps a bit confused) with it
being a thing of its own...but what it really just needs is a space to
work within, and a sufficient amount of isolation from bike-shedding.

I'd recommend a separate mailing list (to provide focus) and a JIRA,
perhaps some place to put documents (either within the comdev svn area,
or somewhere else if spun off), and then...just get to work :)