community-dev mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: on "meritocracy"
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:15:40 GMT
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 12:00:20 +0000
> From: Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org>
> To: dev@community.apache.org
> Subject: Re: on "meritocracy"
>
> Henk P. Penning wrote on 3/24/19 1:29 PM:
> ...snip...
>>   When using the word 'Meritocracy', is is important to
>>   explain on which merits the meritocracy is based :
>>   -- community building
>>   -- software construction
>>   -- whatever

   Most definitions of 'Meritocracy' also mention the 'merits'
   that are /NOT/ important ; like sexuality, race, gender, age,
   or wealth ; also 'education', 'social status', 'achievements
   outside ASF' [pardon my English] etc.

   These 'negatives' are as important as the 'positives',
   when we define what our 'meritocracy' is.

   -- Perhaps these negatives could added (more) upfront in
      http://theapacheway.com/merit/

   Groeten,

   Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/