community-dev mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: on "meritocracy"
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2019 17:29:51 GMT
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019, Craig Russell wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:51:59 +0000
> From: Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com>
> To: dev@community.apache.org
> Cc: Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
> Subject: Re: on "meritocracy"
>
> To me, meritocracy was always a force-fit to describe what we strive for.
>
> The terms with -ocracy all have the intended effect of invoking a
> top-down rule system of governance. I reject all such descriptions of
> how Apache works.
>
> How about just "merit-based" as a guiding principle. We don't have
> -ocracy at all. We strive for merit-based governance.

   Our audience is very international ; for many readers
   English is a second language.

   'Meritocracy' has 50+ language references in wikipedia,
   so the concept can be understood by almost everyone.

   When using the word 'Meritocracy', is is important to
   explain on which merits the meritocracy is based :
   -- community building
   -- software construction
   -- whatever

   With that in mind, 'Meritocracy' is better than some
   vague euphemism.

   Henk Penning