community-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: on "meritocracy"
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2019 17:55:58 GMT
Hi Naomi,

Thanks for (re)starting this discussion. I’ve come to agree that there are serious problems
with the word “meritocracy”. Everyone and every culture brings their own ever evolving
definition. I brought up the Incubator because mentoring new podlings currently includes teaching
that the ASF is a meritocracy and often pushing these projects into actually having discussions
about which contributors should be invited to be committers and/or PPMC members. They each
achieve their own “bar” for this. Some are “higher" and some “lower”. The ones that
set a higher bar may be projects that will never grow enough to be sustainable and diverse
enough to withstand the natural attrition of the “volunteers” that are currently driving
the project.

To me the “non-expiring merit” that should be identified by an Apache Project Community
is those who show that they “care" and willingly, regularly make even small contributions
to the community. This can be as “insignificant” (to those who set a high bar) as answering
user questions with regularity.

I don’t know if there is a single word for it, but I think we should be looking for those
who willingly contribute in an Open, Sharing, Diverse, Inclusive, and Sustainable way. In
many projects there have been moments when a Meritorious, High Energy, Driving person has
become poisonous to that community and has needed to be driven away. This is never a fun process.
A sustainable community that recognizes small contributions and grows volunteers can survive
this. If not then the project is headed to the Attic or will be forked.

I agree with Rich that having this discussion with membership will encounter a fair amount
of pushback (and filibustering in the 19th century sense of the word)

Regards,
Dave