community-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building and Sustaining Inclusive Communities (was: on "meritocracy")
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2019 19:33:46 GMT
On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 2:17 PM Ross Gardler <ross@gardler.me> wrote:
> I think the problem is that *I* used the term "positive discrimination". That has led
to an interpretation of someone elses words through a cloudy lens. Before making assumptions
about that other persons intent you should listen to their words. Have you watched Joan's
presentation?

I read your words and asked you to elaborate on your intent because it
seemed uncharacteristic/controversial,
not because of the bearing on anyone else or other unspecified comments.

Obviously you have no obligation to explain, but don't misrepresent my
question or motives. It's insulting.

> I'm not going to (intentionally) actively discriminate for or against anyone. But I will
protect your right, as an individual, to do so as long as you protect my right to help you
achieve the
> right balance in our broader communities by stamping out the existence of any discrimination
(positive or negative).