community-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: on "meritocracy"
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2019 11:20:12 GMT

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 10:37 AM, Naomi Slater <nomi@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>
> I'd argue that it's actually the failure of the foundation. we're
> responsible for instilling the "apache way", so we're responsible for its
> shortcomings. and our diversity stats *do* reveal some pretty large
> shortcomings
>
> to put it another way: voluntary contribution is the life-blood of this
> organization. our ability to attract contributions is our number one
> biggest asset. "meritocracy" is one of the ideologies we use in service of
> that goal

I know I said I was backing away from this thread, but I agree so much
with what Naomi said above, that I feel it necessary to make that clear.

And while I'm here, it's been implied that I don't see our lack
of diversity as a problem. That is far, far from the truth. What
I am saying is that it's not as simple or as "clear cut", IMHO at
least, as some make it out to be. Very few things in life are.