community-dev mailing list archives

From Sharan Foga <sha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed process for recognizing *Non-Technical* Contributions
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2019 13:59:04 GMT
Hi Craig

One thing that we have done in OFBiz is that when a contributor requests access to our wiki,
we ask them to complete an ICLA before the access request is processed. This has helped to
capture people who for example want to create documentation.

We have setup a page with some basic explanations of what an ICLA is and why we are asking
them to sign one.

https://s.apache.org/NrGP

As well as setting them up with wiki access, we flag them in our Jira as part of a contributor
group where they can then actually start assigning tasks (including the non technical ones)
to themselves.

Perhaps this could be one of the potential suggestions that we could include for projects.

Thanks
Sharan

On 2019/01/10 15:52:19, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sally,
>
> > On Jan 10, 2019, at 12:53 AM, Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> Great writeup and I can wholeheartedly agree with everything except this:
>
> > 3) All project/committee participants are encouraged to sign an ASF ICLA in order
to have their contributions recognized.

> With my Secretary hat on: It is really a lot of work to process non-CLA contributors.
So I'd change this to:

> 3) All project/committee participants are required to sign an ASF ICLA in order to have
their contributions recognized.

> Normally this will have been done in step 2 but your writeup seems to imply that filing
an ICLA is optional. My recommendation: not optional.