community-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Discussions in pull requests vs. dev list (was: The Apache Way and good developers...)
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2018 18:01:51 GMT
In Accumulo and Fluo, we route to notifications@ also. If these went
to dev@, it would be too spammy, and I suspect even fewer people would
participate on important dev@ threads than they do now. Letting it go
to notifications@, people can subscribe to all activity there, if they
wish... or they can go to GitHub and subscribe/unsubscribe to GitHub
notifications for the entire repo ("Watch"), or per-thread, based on
their individual desires. They can also unsubscribe from
notifications@ to avoid duplicate notices if they are already
subscribed to GitHub's notifications (which, to be honest, are far
more useful, easier to read, and better formatted, than emails from
ASF with the same content; you can also automatically avoid notices
from your own activity... something you can't do on list). Using
notifications@ instead of dev@ and users choosing (or not) to get
notifications from GitHub is the best of both worlds and provides
maximal user choice.

There may be room for suggested improvements and best practices, but I
think it would be a mistake if ASF were to try to impose a more spammy
workflow to dev@ onto every PMC, as a requirement. I understand the
utility and universality of mailing lists... but there comes a point
where our reliance on them for all activity, becomes a deterrent to
ASF participation, especially for younger contributors who expect more
convenience than threaded walls of text in their email inbox.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 1:46 PM Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:

> We also use them successfully on CouchDB and I don't see the problem here.
> We do route these notifications to notifications@, not dev@.
> My email client properly threads multiple comments on the same PR.
>
> Another option is to use the GitHub "watch" functionality on a repository, which can
provide better formatted emails than the ASF Infra solution currently does. They also seem
to thread better for some.

> It's important to note that our process forces PRs for all changes to master or any release
branch (R-T-C, not C-T-R), and that PRs cannot be merged unless our full test suite passes.
This is automatically enforced by GitHub for us.

> Automating an email to dev@ with what PRs have opened/merged/closed with numerical counts
sounds useful, but not mandatory. People that care can just use GitHub's "watch" function,
then put filters in their mail client to highlight the things they care about (for instance,
UI changes, or changes to a specific file or directory).

> -Joan

to the list and this is fine. You are able to follow what's going on without much problems.

> However when it comes to the PR reviews, things tend to get it of hand. Every now and
then I open my mail client to find 50 new emails and all of these are related to a single
PR and each mail being a single comment. This is extremely annoying

> Chris
>
> Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> herunterladen

some of other podlings in this experiment:
> ECharts
> Doris
>
> Also, Dubbo is making a good switchover to using the dev list and is currently voting
in a number of contributors as committers. It would be interesting to see what information
they would find relevant.