community-dev mailing list archives

From Isabel Drost-Fromm <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Research on volunteer retention
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2018 15:55:35 GMT
Hi,

a couple days ago someone recommended I read the following two papers:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6880395
"Who Will Stay in the FLOSS Community? Modeling Participant’s Initial
Behavior"

... essentially an analysis of which intrinsic factors, as well as which
project global and contributor local factors play a role in turning an
early contributor into a long term project member.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8477174
"Uncovering the Periphery: A Qualitative Survey of Episodic Volunteering in
Free/Libre and Open Source Software Communities"

... an analysis of the phenomenon of contributors who work on the periphery
of a project, e.g. as volunteers that come and go, that work when they get
the time to do so, that participate at a lower rate than their full-time
peers.

>From time to time I get the question of how to best recruit new
contributors. Reading (well, more skimming than actually diving deep enough
to do a thorough scientific review of them) those two papers made me aware
of some factors that I found work well in the past backed with actual
experiments and analysis.

Hope someone on this list finds those as interesting,
Isabel