community-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Resources for attracting a crowd
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2018 10:13:34 GMT
Hi,

> I've been working on a project for 4-5 years now which I think would make a good Apache
project, at least in terms of it being valuable, high-quality software. We're using it internally
for our production systems at work, but the code is open (hosted on GitHub). Our process to
date has been somewhat lacking (starting out as a 1-man project, now up to 3-4 regular contributors).
The project is called Indy (https://github.com/Commonjava/indy).

The project seems small, but you have managed to grow it and have contributors so congratulations.
How large is your user base? Is there potential for users to become committers in the project?

> With my history working in and promoting the Maven community in the past, I'm hesitant
to say that I can give Indy the exposure necessary to attract a really thriving, diverse community.
This is not a strong area for me personally, as talking about myself and my work doesn't come
naturally. Also, I've got a lot of existing commitments in life, many of which revolve around
Indy at work, but which don't leave a lot of room for doing extra promotion work.

There's more than one way to promote a project, but it can be a lot of hard work and time
and effort. Another Apache project I’m involved in, is seeing growth after a year of talking
to a lot of people, speaking at conferences, writing articles and q whole lot of other work.
Can any of the other contributors help you in promotion?

> Does the Incubator have some facility or capability to help project teams attract a broader
community?

Not explicitly, but often being part of the Apache ecosystem and interacting with other Apache
projects can get more people interested in your project and become part of your community.
 Are there any other apache projects you see synergy with or that could integrate with your
project?

Thanks,
Justin