community-dev mailing list archives

From John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
Subject Resources for attracting a crowd
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2018 17:33:11 GMT
Hi all,

I've been working on a project for 4-5 years now which I think would make a good Apache project,
at least in terms of it being valuable, high-quality software. We're using it internally for
our production systems at work, but the code is open (hosted on GitHub). Our process to date
has been somewhat lacking (starting out as a 1-man project, now up to 3-4 regular contributors).
The project is called Indy (https://github.com/Commonjava/indy).

I'm going through the incubator proposal template, and it seems like we could make a fairly
compelling (IMHO) argument for acceptance. I've thought this for some time now...BUT:

With my history working in and promoting the Maven community in the past, I'm hesitant to
say that I can give Indy the exposure necessary to attract a really thriving, diverse community.
This is not a strong area for me personally, as talking about myself and my work doesn't come
naturally. Also, I've got a lot of existing commitments in life, many of which revolve around
Indy at work, but which don't leave a lot of room for doing extra promotion work.

I saw the thread about creating non-coding functional "centers" inside of Apache to provide
a recognition path for non-coding contributions, and I think that's an incredibly cool idea.
It got me wondering if we have anything in the Incubator that can help with the community-building
part, for projects who have a more, well, introverted development team.

Does the Incubator have some facility or capability to help project teams attract a broader
community?

I believe in the quality and value of Indy, but I'm not sure I myself have all the talents
necessary to give it the long life it deserves.

Thanks,

-john