community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gathering all project logos in high res (or scalable) format
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 12:33:23 GMT
On 08/23/2018 02:27 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 23 August 2018 at 13:07, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 08/23/2018 02:00 PM, sebb wrote:
>>>
>>> Logos tend to change over time, so unless projects are required to
>>> update the directory whenever there is a change, the collection is
>>> going to get out of date.
>>>
>>> It might be better to collect the URLs  of the logos instead.
>>

>> That was a consideration point, yeah. I decided to collect files instead, as
>> I am interested in converting some lower resolution images to higher res
>> scalable versions. URLs can also be outdated, so regardless, in the end,
>> there should be some sort of form for either uploading or grabbing from a
>> URL. I haven't gotten that far yet :-). If there is a good interest in the
>> project, I will work towards that.
>
> It's far more likely that files will be updated than URLs.
> Also generally if a URL in a source repo is updated, there is normally
> some kind of trail which allows one to find the new URL.
>
> Why not collect the URLs as well?
>
> The other issue is that people might start to regard the files as the
> canonical version.

I realize that this could be an issue, but I'm weighing it against the
"we have nothing" state of things right now. When someone requests
logos, we either have to go through PMCs and hope for something, or do
some googling ourselves to help people, and that doesn't seem right for
the foundation. This is trying to remedy that situation. Yes, it's
flawed in more than one way, but it's certainly a start.

In hindsight, I could have asked for URLs specifically, and if people
send me URLs, that's of course welcome as well. As for changes, there
could also be a situation where a logo stays put, but a new one gets
added, so we wouldn't know programatically that it has updated. There
are many things that can go wrong here, but I'd rather have a few misses
than nothing at all.

As said before, if this gains traction, I could look into some sort of
self-serve for updating and possibly detecting changes.

With regards,
Daniel.