community-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Keeping PMC communications public when possible [was: High resolution project logos wanted!]
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 12:50:00 GMT
(Dropping private@subversion.a.o from CC.)

Daniel Gruno wrote:
> Julian Foad wrote:
> > I don't think this request needs to be private, does it? If not, consider re-sending
directly to projects' public (dev@) lists, on the principle that anything that does not need
to be private should be public. In a similar occurrence a few months ago [1], Rich Bowen said
"In retrospect, it would make a lot more sense to have sent this to dev@ in the first place."

OK, so I have forwarded a copy to Subversion's dev@ list.

> I chickened out and used the (P)PMC catchall, as using the dev/user giant
> list causes a ton of angry emails whenever it's used - I hope you can
> understand :-)

I respect your right to choose, but I don't understand why sending a reasonable request to
a project's dev list would be a problem. Could it be that there was some other problem with
the mechanism you are referring to -- perhaps it resulted in directly emailing each subscriber
instead of going via their dev list? I would find it reasonable that some recipients would
object to that.

- Julian