community-dev mailing list archives

From Isabel Drost-Fromm <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Response to my tweet
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:20:02 GMT
Hi Adrian,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 07:39:33AM +0800, Adrian Cole wrote:
> This is adrian. I am replying to this:
> https://twitter.com/MaineC/status/1023647566435680257

Thank you for coming here and providing more background and detail to your
tweet! This is much appreciated.

(Lesson learnt for me: Pulling people from twitter back to a higher bandwidth medium actually
does work. Plus the additional characters typed help better understand the context.)

> So, ASF is becoming by accident the honest alternative to CNCF, who
> directly or indirectly support dishonest marketing mechanisms which I
> could only compare to the idea of competitively competing with open
> source the same way companies compete with eachother.
>
> Especially in OpenTracing ecosystem, many tricks have been used and
> continue long after complaining to their leadership about it.
>
> That's what I meant!

Thank you for that summary! You write that the ASF is becoming by accident the honest alternative.
What makes it honest? In your personal opinion, is there anything that could actively support
keeping it honest, so it doesn't happen by accident?

Isabel