community-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Riggs <jim...@riggs.me>
Subject Re: Help Wanted with Help Wanted
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:37:15 GMT
> On 19 Mar 2018, at 09:08, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
> We have this awesome Help Wanted system, but something's not connecting the dots. We
get a few of these "I want to help" messages every month, but I have never once (that I remember)
see any followup from the volunteer who has said that they want to help.

> The Help Wanted system, which was written over a few days by Daniel, is great, but it's
incomplete. We need to adopt it and add the features that are missing. Is this possibly something
that we want to move to Labs for enhancement? (Danny has been itching for some activity in
Labs!)

> In particular, I'd like to see some of the following features:
>
> * When someone indicates interest, this information is added to the Help Wanted item,
and we have some way to follow up with them in a week, 2 weeks, a month, and so on. Perhaps
some automated reminders?

> * The ability to edit items
>
> * The ability to add notes, status updates, and so on, to an item ... or should we just
connect an item with an actual ticket? Dunno.

> * General usability and navigational enhancements. I frequently get "stuck in a corner"
and have to start from the front page again.

Based on these requirements, does it make more sense to just have Help Wanted be a JIRA project?
It may not be the most engaging interface to get started, but maybe some type of skin or proxy
could be put in front of it as a splash/landing/search entry point? Once you're into a JIRA
issue itself, though, it could check off all four of your feature requests above. Maybe this
is just an instance where we don't need to reinvent the wheel?