community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject New Member Orientation
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2018 18:08:37 GMT
As you may have seen on members@ (those of you who are members) I'd like
to do a series of New Member Orientation sessions (probably video, to be
posted to the ASF YouTube channel, where we cover things like:

* What are the rights and responsibilities of a Member?
* How are members selected/elected?
* What does the Board do?

stuff like that.

Based on my experience with producing this kind of content elsewhere, I
would suggest that we do one topic per video, rather than trying to do a
comprehensive everything video. This would be supplementary content to
go with
   https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/members.html
and
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/new-member-resources.txt

and will perhaps make that content more accessible to people that are
currently not seeing what has been written, or prefer content in a
different format than the current text.

I am very aware that not everyone on this list is a member. However, I
believe this content will be valuable both as internal and external
resources, to educate the world as to how we operate, while increasing
internal knowledge.

A number of people have indicated, on the members list, that this is a
good and useful thing to do. Now we have to actually do it.

Here's what I see as the way forward:

* Clearly identify the topics to cover. The three above are, I think, a
great place to start.
* Identify who can speak to each one of these and what format we want to
do. I am ready and available to do this in interview style, if desired.
I do this as part of my day job. Or we can do a round-table discussion
type thing, if we wanted to have a few people doing it. Or I can just
start making videos and people can yell at me when I get something
wrong. :-)
* Schedule the recordings.

This is also something that we can do on-site at ApacheCon or other
events where 2 or more of us are gathered. I *always* have my video gear
with me.